Friday, June 19, 2009

Some of my favorite memories from this trip are those times when I handed my equipment over. A few people were hesitant to use my camera, but most loved it, as did their friends and neighbors. One teen in Mitundu immediately took off with it, a trail of kids behind him, and took great photos of village life that I would've been too shy to attempt. It was sweet how they wanted to show each picture once they learned how. Other times I'd stick the headphones on one kid and a mic or two in the hands of another during a recording. One time I spoke with two sisters in their 20s, orphaned and both, along with several other family members, infected with HIV. When we were done, I asked if they wanted listen to their interviews, something I rarely did, and had difficulty pressing stop about 25 minutes later.

No comments:

Post a Comment