Friday, June 19, 2009

Tisa

The interview I edited today was with a 14 year old who lives in the Mitundu area with her grandmother and three younger siblings. Her mother passed away suddenly (collapsed while washing clothes, died that same night) when she was ten and her father died of pneumonia (she remembers him crying out in pain one night, and that he died after two weeks in far away hospital). Tisa goes to school three days a week and does piecework (temporary fieldwork) the other two days so that her family will have enough to eat. She was 2nd in her class of 32 students last term. When her mother was alive, she would sometimes buy the children clothes. Her father always encouraged education. She said that she will be able to face life's challenges if she can finish school.

I asked about HIV education in her school. Weekly focus groups, coed, where students discuss an assigned topic and ask the teacher for help as needed. She said that both girls and boys feel comfortable asking anything in these sessions, and that she’s never asked a question because she knows everything about HIV. If she does have a question, is there someone with whom she can speak in private? Her voice changes. “No, there is nobody.” Listening back today, I wonder what message I sent by following up a bit but not providing any good suggestions.

She mentioned that she didn’t have a uniform or school shoes and that, for the third year in a row, she and her siblings don’t have a blanket. Nights can be near freezing during Malawi’s winter months. Tisa and her siblings sleep in a sack and their chitenge (cloth) and their grandmother in her jersey. She estimated that shoes would cost 800 kwacha, slightly over $5, and I knew that a blanket was 1500 kwacha, roughly $10. Her calm and respectful request for assistance was met by awkwardness on my part as I wondered, Is it right to promise money quickly, as if even this amount is no big deal? I can buy the blanket; should I pay for the shoes as well? If I give money to her, is it fair to others who have been interviewed? Is the fact that I’m even hesitating related to my social class? ... Arichie is delivering the blanket and shoes to her with the photos from her disposable camera. It’s not enough, I know.

Tisa took great photos, both with my camera and the disposable. Not only does she have a good eye, but she clearly put a lot of care and thought into each picture. Oh and she bravely resisted her friends’ pressure and only took a few pictures of them so she could focus on documenting her daily life. This girl is so inspiring.

4 comments:

  1. this is really poignant - your blog makes it seem that life really happens in malawi. you can taste it. you can also feel its transient nature and how ethereal it can be.

    your comments about - is it fair to promise it? is it fair to the others? etc. - I think of these things all the time, and maybe it is our social class that does this to us - I'm not sure, but it's definitely one possible explanation.

    haven't seen you in ages - but seems as if you're really living life too.

    take care,

    Romita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment and thoughtful insights. Figuring all this out is definitely an ongoing process!

    I keep remembering a teenager who asked me what I'd be doing with his interviews and pictures and how he would know that they had been shared. He doesn't expect money, but I understood that it was important to him that his story get out, so I'll ask community workers to share whatever I create with him.

    I'm focusing on the broader approach (organizations vs. individuals) but one side project I've considered is a small fundraiser for individuals using the photos that they took. Is it sometimes okay to focus on individuals? is this idea fair to the others?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed by what you did during your stay in Malawi. Keep up the good work. Should you need any information about Malawi, just let me know (I'm Malawian too).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to hear from you, Chris. I'm really wanting to get some discussion going around the topics and stories that come up in my interviews with Paul, - wanna help generate some conversation? What are some things that you'd like see included in upcoming interviews?

    ReplyDelete